To enable all team members to work in sync, staff was equipped with Zebra-TC Series Touch Computers to receive real-time access to TAGNOS data about each patient’s location and movements inside and outside the OR. TAGNOS automatically collects the location and status of patients via an active RFID-enabled wristband assigned at check-in. In addition, the Zebra-TC Series Touch Computers host an active RFID chip that allows for visibility of staff at critical check-points.
With TAGNOS deployed, staff automatically receives actionable, real-time data as each patient is wheeled in and wheeled out of the OR. Operating Room Nurses, Anesthesia Technicians, and EVS shared communications across 6 operating rooms:
As a patient enters a specific OR, an automated alert is triggered communicating actual surgery start time to all staff roles associated with that room.
For the EVS team, patient entry alerts offer actual time-stamped surgery start times, so they can plan their workflows accordingly.
Notification of patient’s WO (exit) from the room triggers an automated alert the patient is being moved out and the room is ready for clean-up.
The TAGNOS system automatically captures both the in and out time of EVS via the touch computer. This provides leadership insight into EVS movements and captures the actual time it takes to clean a room (unavailable prior to TAGNOS).
Enabling clinical logistics automation workflows triggered by real-time location system (RTLS) alerts from TAGNOS and mobile communication with Zebra-TC Series Touch Computers creates a highly synergistic surgical suite that delivers actionable information and open lines of communication centered around optimal efficiency.
This cost reduction breaks down to almost $82,000 per month, or $162,000 for each OR suite annually assuming at least a 3-minute reduction. Streamlining the efforts of EVS and its ‘speed to room’ allows the team to end the day on time and prevents additional use of labor and facility resources, such as overtime charges. Here is a list of significant results provided by OR Orchestration:
- Overall TAT (Turnaround Time) for OR decreased from 28.0 to 25.3 (9.7%)
- Improvements in housekeeping staff response time into room: decreased<104 seconds, 61% in room at Patient Out
- Anesthesia Tech response time increased from 60% to 80%
- EVS time-to-room decreased by 41%+
- Added Turnaround Technician with TAGNOS phone to facilitate setup and additional support during turnaround
- Cost avoidance of $82,000/month
- $974,160 estimated annual savings from use of TAGNOS to improve room turnaround
The solution yielded some intangible benefits, as well:
- Role-based communication at an OR suite level ensured all relevant staff members are communicating within one, accurate message loop.
- Receiving the same information improved communication and gave teams a stronger perspective on how interrelated their tasks are.
- Staff members feel they are in a better position to schedule their time around surgical activity. It has fostered a high level of teamwork since the ambiguity and burden of communicating simple, yet vital information is completed automatically for them.
In summary, the solution automatically placed vital patient flow information into the hands of clinical and ancillary team members that improved efficiencies, outcomes, and the patient experience.